Heir to a know-how of a traveling boiler
"When I had just planted my first vines, I had the opportunity to meet a traveling distiller who wanted to transmit his stills and his know-how." Passionate about the enhancement of the flavors of our Chatillonnais terroir, adventure tempted me, today this seasonal activity is complementary to our winery. "
The boiler of the cru: it's you!
Anyone can distil the fruits of his own harvest for his family consumption. It is then called "bouilleur de cru".
My status of distiller allows me to transform my own spirits but also to work for individuals (even for small quantities).
Currently, all the distillers have a 50% exemption from the liquor tax. It will cost you about 4,20 € per liter of brandy at 48 ° (2019 cost) plus the distiller's remuneration.
I am authorized by Customs for all the administrative formalities.
Note: for the holders of a privilege, the total exemption of rights on the first 10 liters of pure alcohol is maintained for life, it is only transmissible to the spouse.
The alchemy of the eau-de-vie
Delicate art, distillation requires a lot of care to extract the aromas of a fruit and concentrate in a brandy rich in authentic flavors.
With my copper stills, I practice a specific distillation called iron distillation.
This ancient method gives the eau-de-vie aromas of great finesse.
By this technique of double heating, the head and the tail of the product are removed, only the heart is withdrawn to obtain a maximum of purity.
- Collect ripe and healthy fruits: the damaged fruits give a bad taste
- Count about 10 kg of fruit to obtain 1 liter of brandy.
- Put the fruit in a barrel (plastic fruit barrel), crush them, avoiding breaking the stones.
- To facilitate the fermentation, place the drum, unobstructed, in a temperate place (20 ° C is ideal).
- During fermentation (about a month), stir the fruits twice a day. Attention, at this point, the volume increases.
- The fermentation is completed when there is no more gas and the fruits remain at the bottom of the container.
- After fermentation and until they are distilled, it is imperative to keep the fruit in a completely filled and tightly sealed container.
- Distillation period: my distillation workshop is generally open from November 1st to February 15th.
- Before bringing your barrel to the distillery, it is necessary to make an appointment - Tel: 06.48.12.32.00.
- Your fruits will be distilled separately from 50 liters.
- You can choose the alcoholic degree of your brandy between 40% and 60%
- After the distillation, store the brandy in closed bottles with a piece of cloth to let the volatile gases escape.
- Store it in the attic; it is there exposed to the extreme temperatures of summer and winter, it ages the better.
- It takes some time for the eau-de-vie to soften. It acquires roundness and reveals its aromas. I advise to wait one year before bottling.
- Keep away from light.
Patience and know-how are the key words of a successful eau-de-vie.
You will then discover the ancestral pleasure, always renewed, of a subtle eau-de-vie, and warm ...
To taste of course in moderation!